Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cold Tuscan Melon and Cucumber Soup

Hey dudes, happy Wednesday!
              
  I didn’t post anything last week, and I’d like to say that it was for some glamorous reason like a wine tasting trip to Napa, but alas, the real reason is that my paycheck was delayed by a day and I was flat broke. So instead, I spent the day sitting inside and watching Nashville and doing laundry. 
           
     I did think a lot about what I was going to make though, and because the weather was gray and drizzly I decided on roasted chicken and potatoes. It sounded light enough for spring, but comforting enough to help shake off the weather. I bought the chicken and wine and everything (actually Dallas did), but then it got hot again.  I currently have a pretty decent a sunburn, and  the thought of even having  the oven in our small apartment on long enough to cook a whole chicken makes me sweaty. So, the little bird is waiting in the freezer until it starts raining again, and I sought after making something a little more cool and refreshing. 

      When it's really hot outside, and especially when my skin looks a lobster (I was wearing sunscreen, I swear) , I just don't want to eat hot food. This is something that I picked up from my dad. Whenever it was really hot, my mom would make sandwiches or pasta salad or something else cold because "you know your dad hates hot food on hot days". So with that in mind, and in the spirit of turning in to one's parents, I got to thinking about what would lend the ultimate amount of cool delicious freshness while also providing a little nutrition to keep me going.

     What I ended up making is a cold melon and cucumber soup with Greek yogurt. I've made this a few times before and it's perfect or hot weather. It's super light, crisp, and cold, but the yogurt gives you a little protein so it's not completely insubstantial. Serve it with a toasted or grilled baguette, and you're in business! It would also serve as a great side dish to grilled fish or shrimp. So here's the recipe, hope you guys like it.

Cold Tuscan Melon and Cucumber soup


Ingredients:


  • One large seedless cucumber, or two regular cucumbers, seeded and peeled

  • One half Tuscan Melon (you can use whatever kind of melon you like best, but Tuscan's were on sale, and doesn't it make this recipe sound fancier?!) skin and seeds removed

  • Large handful of mint leaves, about half cup
  • Juice and zest of one lime and one lemon
  • Four scallions, chopped
  • Two tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Three quarter cup full fat Greek Yogurt
  • Salt and Pepper to taste


Directions

  1. This one's really easy, y'all. You pretty much just chop everything up and throw it in the food processor.
  2. Let it go for a good while, until it has a pretty smooth consistency, then drizzle in the olive oil. Lastly add the Greek Yogurt.
  3. This step is optional, but if you let the soup sit in the fridge for a couple of hours the flavors will really start to settle, and it'll be extra chilly.
  4. Serve that beautiful mess in a bowl and top with a dollop (ew, I hate that word) of Greek Yogurt, and a fresh mint leaf.
  5. (Optional, toast a baguette to be served with the soup)

Well that's all she wrote for today folks, I'm gonna go find something to do in this beautiful sunshine. Hope you are all having a great week!

Xoxo Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment